Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Summit Lake residents are advised not to use their tap water.

This advisory is no longer in effect.

Summit Lake is under advisory for a toxic algae bloom. Residents living on Summit Lake who get their tap water from the lake should not use their tap water for drinking, cooking, or bathing. Disinfection, boiling, and treatment systems don’t remove or deactivate the algae toxin.

Current levels are at 354 micrograms per liter. One microgram per liter is considered a reason for health concern. The bloom is producing high levels of the toxin Anatoxin-a, which is toxic to the nervous system.

Public Health also advises the following other precautions:
  - Residents should find a temporary alternative source of safe drinking    water.
  - Don't shower in water taken from the lake until laboratory tests show    the water is safe.
  - Avoid contact with lake water.
  - Keep pets and children out of the water.
  - Don't fish or swim in the water.

Public Health will continue to monitor the situation and will take more lake samples in the next week. We will continue to update residents. Please share this information to help get the word out. You can find more information about toxic algae here.

Residents and lake users with questions can contact Jane Mountjoy-Venning at 360-867-2643 or venninj@co.thurston.wa.us

No comments:

Post a Comment